Sunday, November 30, 2014

Fiesta - FIASCO - 5K

At the end of September I ran a "Fiesta 5K"  - the first race of the City of Peoria's Runners Series 3.0.  There were many factors that turned this 'Fiesta' into "Fiasco'....it was the end of September so the weather was still really hot - and very humid - and there were lots of mosquitoes. It was my first evening run...I was really nervous. It should have been a beautiful run under the lights at the park right by my house, around the lake, through the soccer fields...I was running with my friend, Renee...but things went wrong.

The sunset was beautiful.
The finish - it's a fake.
So we took off running - I actually felt really good...and then I kept running...and I got really tired...and hot...and frustrated: the course was poorly marked and nobody - I mean - nobody - knew where we were supposed to go. I crossed the finish line and looked at the clock that said some form of 20 minutes. My thoughts were, "WTH?" and then I saw my friends who had walked the course already done...and I thought, "WTH?!" I looked at my phone and realized I hadn't started it to map my run....so I had not idea how far or how long I had run.  The crowd was wandering around asking each other, "So how far did you run? Where did you run? Is this the biggest fiasco you've ever done?!"  None of us had a clue.  So I ate my post-race fruit, took off my shoes and had Scooter take a fake finish line picture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment