Monday, July 1, 2013

Kuchen and Pie

I am pretty sure that I inherited my dad's sweet tooth because I love sweets - desserts. Not so much pastries like doughnuts and such, but I love cookies, cake, the occasional piece of pie and now and then, kuchen.  If anyone knows how to spell that correctly, please let me know.
 
KUCHEN:
We make this on bread days and apple is my dad's favorite kind. I think this is a German sweet...we just grew up with it.  You take bread dough and put it in a pan. Put some sliced apples/peaches/plums/rhubarb or whatever fruit you have on hand on top of that and pour a bit of cream on top. Let it rise (raise?) with the rest of the bread and then bake it. 

 
 
PIE:
Every time I go home I try to bring lemons so I can make my dad his favorite pie:  lemon merengue.  My nephew, Teddy, also enjoys this treat so he came over to learn how to make it. This dish, I have learned, really is easier with two people: one to do the pie and one to do the merengue.  Really, I started assigning the merengue to my dad so he'd stay out of my way while I made the pie! I'm sure I have blogged about making this pie with my dad every time I have done it. It has become one of my favorite adult memories with him.
 
Teddy and Ted make the merengue.

My dad never could keep his fingers out of stuff...
He's testing the merengue to make sure the peaks are stiff.

And he has to see that it tastes alright.

Pie is baking...my crusts never look nice, but that merengue sure does!

Teddy is quite proud of his finished product.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment