Monday, August 18, 2014

Eegee's

Anyone who has ever lived in Phoenix or Tucson seems to know what an Eegee's is.  I remember when 'our Magnusons' first moved to Tucson and I mentioned that I was going to visit them. The first question was, "Oh!  do you get to stop at Eegee's?" I had no idea what they meant, but I have a vague memory of going there when Carolyn was nearly a baby and I am certain I did not take full advantage of the Eegee's experience.  I was a novice. People who live in Phoenix covet this wonderful bit of deliciousness because now it can only be gotten in Tucson or thereabouts.  It's kind of like In and Out Burger used to be - you know, when you could only get them in California and it was the for sure destination in Palm Desert as you drove to San Diego on the I-10. Now In and Out has arrive in PHX and I haven't been to one in a very long time - why bother when I drive by one at least once a month!  Well that trip on I-10 to Tucson just got a whole lot better when we learned there is an Eegee's in Casa Grande!  We now have a pit stop on our way to visit our Magnusons.

It all started when Kelly went to a conference in Tucson this summer- it may have even been the same day we took birthday pancakes to Renee at the office. We heard Kelly was on her way back from Tucson and would be bringing Eegee's back to the office. Carolyn quickly texted her and begged her to bring her a July flavor-of-the month Watermelon Eegee.  Being the good person that Kelly is, she obliged and we met her at the office for a wonderful summer treat of Eegee's. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of frozen slushy whatever they might be - -OK. I do like a slushie from Sonic. But snow cones and the like, I just never got what is so great about them. Then I tried an Eegee's.  I am sold.  They're smooth. They're fresh. They're full of flavor. They're yummy.  I don't think I'll ever drive to Tucson without a stop for one - and why bother with a just a Biggie when you can get a Party Pack and enjoy it for weeks?!! I'm inspired to try whatever the flavor of the month is (July: watermelon;  August: cherry limeade).  Maybe our Magnusons will be seeing a lot more of us! I must say, I enjoy the lemon a lot as well but I'm always up for trying a new flavor.

Shortly after Kelly's treat, we went to Tucson and got our own Party Pack of watermelon Eegee's.  We polished one bucket off in Tucson, stopped for a refill on our way back and Carolyn hoarded that stuff for two weeks.  Thank heavens our Magnusons came to visit and brought us more - in August!



I know why I like Eegee's:
it goes very well with vodka!
(well, what doesn't?)
A very refreshing pool side drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment