Sunday, August 17, 2014

First Day of School

Well....we're eight days in and I'm FINALLY posting pictures from the first day of school.  I don't know how many times I have said it - or maybe I've just thought it - 'change is good'. 'Change is necessary to help us grow.'  Well if that's the case, we are in for a year of HUGE growth!

This has been a year full of change....in three years, this is my third 'new school' and I feel like I'm closer to 'home' than ever.  I have to say, after just eight days - and finally meeting all my students (about 700 total) - I am pretty happy and excited about the year. This is my 22nd year teaching music and like last year, I am teaching just K-4.  I enjoy it - I'm still fairly cool with the 10 and under crowd. I don't get as much of the school 'gossip' as I got with the older kids; I don't see my own children in class...and we're all OK with that. It's a 'simpler' life and although there is a part of me that misses preparing and performing with a choir, there is a bigger part of me that does not miss the stress and other issues that come with older kids and bigger ensembles. All is well.

More change this year...Not only am I at a new school (Copperwood)...so is Elyse. Elyse started 6th grade and as a parent I was wary of the new homeroom teacher she would have had at Heritage.  So in late July Scooter and I chatted about the possibility of Elyse transferring to my new school:  Copperwood.  We discussed it and ultimately left the decision up to Elyse. She thought it over and said, "Hmm. I think I'd like to go. I'd like to have that experience of being 'the new girl'."  I filled out paperwork, she was accepted and away we went.  Elyse was also accepted into the  CCDI (Copperwood Center for Differentiated Instruction) - basically a fancy name for 'gifted'. It's a  long explanation, but she is in a gifted classroom and so far is doing very well. Carolyn remained at Heritage - it is her 8th grade year and final year there...and with her being StuCo President and all...it just was not a year to move for her.  She was equally as excited to get things going at Heritage.

Carolyn
8th Grade - Heritage Elementary

Elyse
6th Grade - Copperwood Elementary
They really do like each other...

Carolyn is better at selfies than I am!
Carolyn - Grade 8;  Zona - Year 22;  Elyse - Grade 6

No comments:

Post a Comment