Monday, August 18, 2014

O Canada

One of my favorite things Canadian:
my friend, Barbara
Many of you know of my love of a lot of things Canada....my Canada mittens...the Canadian National Anthem (I love it because not only is it lovely, it's much easier to sing than the US Anthem), McIntosh Toffee, my crazy Canadian friend, Barbara, my sister-in-law, Cathy, maple leaves, and now I that I have been introduced to pouitanne, there's just no stopping me. I just may move to Canada.

When we were in Grafton visiting  family, we were an hour or so from Canada. The girls needed an adventure, so I called my crazy Canadian friend, Barbara and made plans to meet for lunch.  We got through the border (complete with passports and a notarized letter from Scooter allowing me to take his children out of the country), asked about a restaurant in Morris (funny: everyone knew exactly which restaurant I was talking about) and off we went to meet Barbara. Thank heavens she was standing outside the restaurant by her car - or I would have totally missed it.  Also: thank heavens that in the more than 20 years that I have known Barbara, she hasn't changed one bit!

So we had a nice visit over lunch and as we were leaving we casually asked if there was a Tim Hortons anywhere nearby...the cashier thought there was one in Emerson, just on our way back to the border.  We drove through the very small town of Emerson - couldn't easily find Tim Hortons - so I did what any good woman driver would do: I stopped a nice boy on a lawn mower and said, "The girl at the restaurant in Morris told me there was a Tim Hortons here. Can you please tell me where it is?" and he very nicely - as we know: all Canadians are nice - said, "You've been lied to."  Well we were crushed. So we drove to the Duty Free and headed back to the good ole U S of A.

We stopped at the border on our way up to Canada
just for these pictures.

Manitoba, Canada



I sent this picture to my friends in Arizona.
Their comment:  "It looks like where the Teletubbies live!"
I love the contrast between the blue sky and the green prairie.

My girls are such good sports for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment