Monday, August 18, 2014

Weeds

These are most definitely not weeds.
Susette has the most beautiful flower beds on the farm.
A few days before our arrival in The Homeland, my dad fractured a bone in his ankle. He'd been out working in his garden, fell and well...there you have it.  So he was kind of laid up during our visit, which was fine. We could actually keep up with him! I remember that Elyse used to like that about Grandma:  She liked to walk slow like Elyse and Elyse could keep up with her and was never rushed - unlike when she would walk with me.  Anyway, we girls went out to the farm one day and Susette put us to work weeding Grandpa's garden, since he couldn't do it.  I have never liked pulling weeds. I have never liked having dirt under my fingernails. Thankfully, Susette had gloves for all of us. Maybe I'd have enjoyed weeding the garden if Mother had provided gloves for us!  After teaching Elyse and Carolyn the difference between a weed and a radish or corn or whatever it was....we were off and pulling.  The weeds were nice and big so you could really tell a difference in our work!  We were happy to be pulling weeds and not picking potato bugs off the plants. I suppose that corn is about ready for harvest and hopefully Daddy's foot is healed enough that he can go out and pick it.


This is one of my favorite pictures:
I love the view of the farm in the background.

Susette was quite the slave driver with us out in that garden!
Look to the right:  those are the weeds we pulled!


No comments:

Post a Comment