Thursday, December 27, 2012

Jingle Jammies

SO many people I know talk of always getting new pajamas for Christmas - and that would be the ONE gift they got to open on Christmas Eve.  I don't recall pajamas being a 'for sure' thing when I was growing up, but I do remember occassionally getting a new flannel nightgown for Christmas - usually one my mom had made.  Funny thing - one year she made me a quilt from all our old flannel pajamas and it brought back such fond memories.  How appropriate that now I can snuggle under a quilt made from the pajamas I used to wear snuggling in my bed. 
 
It has become a tradition with my children to get pajamas for Christmas every year.  When they were little I loved getting them warm snuggly flannel footie pajamas. I loved rocking them in those warm snuggly things - knowning if they kicked out of their blanket in the night they wouldn't wake up cold and call for me to cover them up (I actually have a memory of being in my crib as a kid throwing my blanket on the floor and crying that I was cold. I remember my mom getting up and getting the blanket for me once.  I threw it down again and I think my dad might have gotten up, given the blanket to me and said something like, "and that's the last 'gosh darn' time."  I am also pretty sure he didn't say 'gosh darn' either!). Since the girls are not nightgown wearers anymore and have moved on to pajama pants, we look forward to getting new pajama pants every year.  One year we were shopping at Old Navy because they had pajama pants -- but they were called 'jingle jammies'-- on sale; and ever since, we have referred to our new pajamas as 'jingle jammies'.  Last year we got the whole Magnuson family jingle jammies for Christmas.  Sadly, some of them were not as excited about them as the Mielke family was.  Evidently new jammies were not a Magnuson Family tradition!
 
This year as our Thanksgiving Extravaganza was winding down, Jill asked if we were getting them new jingle jammies (see:  the name stuck!) this year. The suggestion was made that we draw names and get the person whose name we drew new jingle jammies for Christmas.  A quick list of who would be in Tucson for Christmas was made, texts were sent, names were written on slips of papers and finally names were drawn - and kept secret.  We all met in Tucson at the Magnusons on Christmas Day and, just like the sweet baby Jesus, the 1st Annual (hopefully!) Jingle Jammie-palooza was born.  I think everyone would admit it was a very good idea. Well, done, Jill!

OK, so this was a joke.
Kim needed 'new mama' jammies.

Here we are modeling our new jingle jammies.
Even Baby Jayken was in on the drawing.

We put a lot of thought and effort into the color arrangement
for this photo.  We marveled how everybody's pants were different,
 and every pair FIT the recipient in both personality and size.
**Note: Garth has Oscar the Grouch and Gert has martini glasses.**
**Steve got Superman (because he's just SUPER!)**
**Mine say, "How dare you disobey me!"**

No comments:

Post a Comment