Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Camping 101

I would really like to be a camper.  I so enjoy being outdoors, hiking, walking...doing all that outside stuff...campfires...s'mores....so when I saw an article in the newspaper about 'camping classes', I was all over it. The AZ State Parks planned a series of outings for 'families who have little or no experience camping.'  Keep in mind, my family's idea of camping is The Fabulous Four Seasons! Can't say I don't love it too....ANYWAY, I signed us up.  And circumstances at work got Scooter Pie out of it...but we girls went on.  It was a really fun time - for $65 they provided a tent, bed rolls, chairs, all food (they cooked!) and fun activities. I highly recommend it. check it out at www.azstateparks.com/family
 
We chose to go to Dead Horse Ranch on Saturday, March 16 and we were instructed to be there at 8:00 a.m. sharp. That meant a 6 a.m. departure.  We pulled out of the garage at 6:05 and 20 minutes down the road had to stop for gum.   We arrived at the camp at 8:00, got checked in and then stood around for an hour.  Grr.  I realized on the drive that my girls are at that age of 'plug in and zone out'. Both had the technology of their choice and it kept them busy during the drive.

 
We arrived and once we got going, our first activity was orienteering and compassing.  Once we got going, it was interesting and fun.  It started a little slow, but we learned how to make a map using the coordinates we were given, how to measure our pace so we'd know how far we'd walked and, of course, how to use a compass.  I spent a bit of time zoning out the talk and looking for a compass app on my phone!
 
Carolyn wasn't sure she was having a good time yet.

Measuring our pace...first I had to learn what a 'pace' is.
My pace is 5' when I am able to walk my normal pace.
Walking in a line was not a good way to measure it!

We played a game where we were given coordinates and instructions
(the director admitted stealing it from Boy Scouts)
and we ended up in the exact right spot.
We were a very good team.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment