Thursday, July 4, 2013

June 12 - Well Done, Good and Faithful Servant

 When I was in 5th grade, my mom gave me a diary for Christmas.  My best friend had died that summer and I think it was a way for her to help me deal with that loss.  Because of that gift, I have been a journal-er since I was about 10 and eventually became a 'blogger' -- at the age of 40.  I keep this blog to document my adventures with my family and it also was a way to keep my mom up to speed on what the girls were doing and how they were changing and growing up.  At the age of 70 or so, my mom got an email account and was pretty techno-savvy throughout the last 12 years.  Email and this blog were easy ways to keep in touch with her and for her to keep up with my girls.

June 29, 2010, my mom was diagnosed with liver cancer.  If you've read this blog for that long, you have seen pictures of her throughout this battle and have shared my journey through my visits to The Homeland to visit her/care for her and my dad during this time. When she was first diagnosed, we were all very certain our time remaining with her was short.  We are so grateful it was longer than we expected.  We had a lot of family celebrations in 2010 to enjoy each other with her in our presence. She enjoyed every minute of it - even outlasting many of her grandchildren at the bar while celebrating "The Honeymoon" (59th Wedding Anniversary).  We had our usual girls weekend with her and in April 2011, we celebrated her 80th birthday in grand fashion.  She enjoyed many more celebrations after that.

On June 12, 2013, my mom succumbed to her illness and made her transition onto the next adventure.  She is so missed by so many. I could go on and on about how amazing my mom was.  We spoke of that at her Memorial Service...we gathered, celebrated, and shared so many fun stories and memories of her during our weekend celebration of her. She would have enjoyed the party so much and I am certain she was there for the whole party - from start to finish.  We will miss Mother. She was a good and faithful servant.  Well done.







 
This is my mom and dad at their 25th Wedding Anniversary - 1976

My mom and dad at their 45th Wedding Anniversary - 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment