Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Avenue Q

A few years ago, this little Broadway show called, "Avenue Q" came out.  I believe it actually beat "Wicked" for the Tony award that year. I could be wrong...but anyway...Scooter was more familiar with the show than I was and we went to Tucson to see it.  It was hilarious and offensive in every way possible - and even in the usually fairly liberal Tucson, there were several empty seats after half time.  Since then, we have encouraged people to see this show whenever they can - but remember to keep an open mind and be prepared for some offensive words and scenes.  "Avenue Q" is a little like "Sesame Street" in that:  there are puppets, two men live together in an upstairs apartment and argue a lot, there are humans interacting with the puppets and there are monsters. And bears. So - Scooter and I have seen this show at least three times and we laugh hysterically every time we see it.  My eyes got very large when I saw that the local theatre down the street was doing the school version of "Avenue Q" in February. I had to go just to see how they were going to make this show rated PG-13.  So I got some friends together, made dinner and drinks and we walked to the theatre (it was a quick clip), saw the show and for the first time, 'did' downtown Peoria.  It was a hoot. I even got carded.
 

The show was really well done and I was amazed at the local high school talent on the stage. The kids were all 14 - 19 years old - the leads being just HS freshmen.  It wasn't as good as the original - when they modify lyrics you're used to hearing...and expect to hear...it just isn't the same. But we did learn, "The internet is for....friends." Sigh.

After the show I got to take my picture with one of the Bad Idea Bears. They really actually had some good ideas:  "buy the case - it's a far more economical way to spend the money your parents are sending you!"

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment